Mercer County Surgery Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mercer County Surgery Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Mercer County Surgery Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Mercer County Surgery Center expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Mercer County Surgery Center' employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.
MCSC has been serving the Mercer County, New Jersey and Bucks County, Pennsylvania areas for over 20 years, and has the following opportunities currently available.
Registered Nurse, OR/Perioperative
Immediate per diem positions exist at Mercer County Surgery Center, a progressive Ambulatory Surgery Center located in Lawrenceville, NJ for Registered Nurse with OR, preoperative, and PACU experience.
Provides individualized and specialized nursing care to patients in the Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) in accordance with physicians’ orders, recognized nursing techniques, legal aspects of current nurse practice with the State and the ASC policies and procedures. Functions cooperatively with physicians and staff exhibiting teamwork characteristics. Demonstrates initiative, insight and judgment in the decision-making process.
Perioperative Nurses provide direct and individualized nursing care to patients based on application of scientific nursing principles. In addition to general nursing care, responsibilities of perioperative nurses include (but not limited to):
- Consults and coordinates with health care team members to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care plans.
- Conducts pre- and post-operative education.
- Serves as the communication liaison to family and members of the operating team.
- Takes and monitors patient’s vital signs.
- Ensures that operating on correct patient and the correct procedure is being performed.
- Provides basic bedside care.
- Prepares and administers (orally, subcutaneously, through an IV) and records prescribed medications. Reports adverse reactions to medications or treatments or treatments in accordance with the policy regarding the administration of medications by a licensed registered nurse.
- Responds to life-saving situations based upon nursing standards and protocol.
- Records all care information concisely, accurately, and completely, in a timely manner, in the appropriate format and on the appropriate forms.
- Prepares operating room for patient/procedure.
- Initiates corrective action whenever information from monitoring equipment shows adverse symptomatology.
- Monitors patients’ physical and emotional well-being throughout the care continuum.
- Initiates patient education plan, as prescribed by physician. Teaches patients and significant others how to manage their post-treatment home care needs, self-administration of medication and rehabilitation.
- Performs other position-related duties as assigned, depending on assignment setting.
During surgical procedures, perioperative nurses can take the role of:
Circulating Nurse,with the following additional duties:
- Assists in positioning, responding to comfort/safety of patient.
- Provides for accurate care and handling of specimens.
- Observes and enforces strict standards of asepsis.
- Observes, checks, and monitors all equipment used during surgery to confirm they are running smoothly.
- Handles patient documentation.
- Inventories all items both pre- and post-surgery.
Scrub Nurse,with the following additional duties:
- Selects and handles instruments and supplies used for the operation, passing them to surgeon
- Inventories all items both pre- and post –surgery.
- Completes required orientation as directed by facility.
- Follows facility and OSHA safety rules and procedures while on assignment.
- Respects cultural and religious practices of patients.
- Upholds HIPAA regulations and completes recertification as necessary.
- Punctual and dependable for assigned/confirmed shifts.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program.
- Current nursing license, in good standing with the State of New Jersey licensing board, to practice as Registered Nurse.
- Minimum 2 years experience in operating room required; preoperative and PACU experience preferred. Experience in an Ambulatory Surgery Center preferred.
- Membership in specialty or other local, state, or national professional societies, such as AORN are encouraged.
- Maintains Basic Cardiac Life Support certification
- ACLS certification and re-certification is required.
- Cognitive skills as related to the position.
Work involves prolonged periods of standing, sitting, lifting, bending, reaching and the ability to push or pull items weighing fifty (50) pounds or less. Position also requires fine motor skills and visual acuity.
The Center is open Monday through Friday and provides preoperative beds, operating/procedure rooms, and post-procedure beds. In the working environment of the Center, there may be potential exposure to communicable diseases, contaminated blood and body fluids, and hazardous materials.
The above statements reflect the general outline considered necessary to describe the principle functions of this job. It shall not be construed as a detailed description of all work requirements of the job.